Welcome to our kitchen, where we're about to embark on a culinary journey that's both comforting and bursting with flavour. Today, we're going to explore the delightful world of Curried Butternut Squash Soup. If you're in the mood for a warm, soul-soothing bowl of goodness, you're in the right place. This recipe from Minimalist Baker is about to become your new favorite fall and winter soup.
- 1 Tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 medium shallots (thinly diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 cloves yield ~1 Tbsp or 6 g)
- 6 cups peeled & chopped butternut squash (1 small butternut squash yields ~6 cups)
- 1 pinch each sea salt + black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth (DIY or store-bought)
- 1-3 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1-2 tsp chili garlic paste (optional)
- Optional garnishes: roasted pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro, and a drizzle of coconut milk
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add oil, shallots, and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add butternut squash and season with salt, pepper, curry powder, and ground cinnamon. Stir to coat. Then cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, maple syrup or coconut sugar, and chili garlic paste (optional – for heat).
- Bring to a low boil over medium heat and then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée on high until creamy and smooth. If using a blender, return soup back to pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more curry powder, salt, or sweetener as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
Serve as is or with garnishes of choice (options above). Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Best when fresh.
Voilà! You've just prepared a steaming bowl of Curried Butternut Squash Soup that's perfect for any chilly day. Its rich, velvety texture and the warm, aromatic spices make it a comforting dish that's sure to please. Enjoy the cozy delight of homemade soup and savor every spoonful. Bon appétit!